How much does it cost to remodel a kitchen? Do you know? What are the cost factors involved? Well, you might as well ask how many different styles of cabinets you there are available for purchase.
In other words, wondering how much it costs to remodel a kitchen is really a question that doesn’t have an answer, well a precise one anyway. Because the cost varies tremendously as no two kitchens are alike and no two budgets are either. Someone may be looking to put $50 000 into their upgrades and another $5000.
We are going to have a look at everything you need to consider when planning to redo your kitchen and this should bring you closer to determining how much does it cost to remodel a kitchen.
- How big is your kitchen? Of course, the larger the kitchen the more it is likely going to set you back to get your kitchen to your liking. How much does it cost to remodel a kitchen is hugely dependent on whether you’ve got a 300 square. foot kitchen or one double or triple the size.
- Absolutes that need updating – There are going to always be key items that have to be changed when making a kitchen renovation. Perhaps the reason you are upgrading your central social spot of the house. If your refrigerator doesn’t work and your faucet is showing its age of twenty years, you know these two items are going to factor directly into answering the question of how much does it cost to remodel a kitchen.
- What are the costs of the materials you’re going to need? This is going to factor big time into how much does it cost to remodel a kitchen. Are the materials you’re going to need expensive and specific? Or perhaps you can look around and get a pretty good deal. Have you done your research on what materials will be cost-effective for you? Some of these expenses will be pretty much set but there will be variables that you’ll have to seriously consider. Knowing exactly what the base material costs are going to be is going to give you a pretty good ideal of your costs.
- Can you do it yourself? Now you need to be open and honest with yourself here because you don’t want to try to be the superhero here if you’re afraid of confrontation! If you are a ‘Mr. Fix-it’ and can do all the renovations, you’ll be saving yourself a ton of money. Even if you can just do some of it, this is going to lower your costs when looking at how much does it cost to remodel a kitchen. Even if you can remove things from the kitchen you’re getting rid of, that can really help.
- Do you need to look for a contractor? If you need a specialty contractor, then you need a contractor. Better to get the job done right, right? Let’s look into the contractor process a little bit more because most people find they need an expert for at least part of the project.
- Quotes are part of their job. Don’t feel compelled to go with them just because they gave you a quote.
- Make sure you get at least two or three different quotes to consider. Usually you get a wide range of pricing. Just make sure you keep an open mind and ask questions. The only dumb question is the one that isn’t asked.
- Don’t rush and if the contractor is pushing you like a salesperson, move on! You don’t need that. Remember it’s you that’s in charge and they should respect that.
- After you get a couple quotes you will be in a position to ensure you have the funds necessary. You should have a pretty good idea now of how much does is cost to remodel a kitchen.
So how are you planning to pay for this?
- Maybe you have been saving up for some time now and have a nice little nest egg for your kitchen reno. Remembering that even though you’ve got a couple estimates, make sure you’ve got a little to spare because rarely to these projects come in on budget.
- If you are going to a lending facility to get financing it’s important that you take in your estimates and any other pertinent information you might need. You may even get a referral from them and this just may help your cause.
- DO NOT start this type of major project on a whim. Or perhaps having some of the funding in place and banking on a winning the lottery to pay for the finishing touches. Get all the money you’re going to need in place prior to starting so you aren’t shocked by how much does it cost to remodel a kitchen after the fact.
This was mentioned previously but it’s worth talking about again. It’s important to always have a little bit more set aside than you think you’ll need for your kitchen renovations. It’s no fun at all when you are just about done the project, only to realize that you ended up on the short end of the stick in regards to how much does it cost to remodel a kitchen. Not being able to finish your cupboards just isn’t kosher. So you’ve got decisions on: materials, appliances and contractors
So how much does it cost to remodel a kitchen?
Well, as you can see, there is no straightforward, cut and dry answer to this question. There is no minimum amount of money it costs for remodeling a kitchen, nor a maximum. It comes down to knowing exactly what you want, creating a plan, being careful with your costs and making certain you stick with the plan. If you deviate outside of your walls you will inevitably run into to obstacles.
- Be organized
- Do your research
- Stick with your budget
This is how you’ll figure out what it costs to renovate your kitchen and be happy about it!