One of the best things you can do to increase the value of your home is to upgrade your kitchen and finding ways to keep your kitchen remodeling costs low is going to allow you to either make more changes or upgrade in what you already had planned. Either way, with kitchen remodeling costs you may find that you have taken on more than what you handle.
Chances are pretty good that if you are planning to remodel your kitchen, you’ve been dreaming about things like granite countertops and custom cabinetry. Of course that budget is what handcuffs you in the end because usually you want exactly what is just outside of your budget.
Well kitchen remodeling costs can range anywhere from a couple thousand dollars to more than seventy-five thousand quite handily. By figuring out:
- What you need
- What’s important
- What your budget is
- Where you can compromise
You will be able to get a kitchen that’s going to bring you many happy memories. Here are a few steps you need to go through in order to ensure your plan comes together, successfully at that!
- First off you need to know what your budget is. Do you have room to move around or is it air tight? If you wait a few more months before starting, will you have a little more money to put into it? Make sure you have room in your budget for the extras because they will crop up!
- Next up, you should tap into your creative skills a little. Get someone to help you out. It helps to draw your dream kitchen and leave nothing out. It may not be what you are going to end up getting but if you don’t acknowledge what you want, you’ll never get it!
- Now, you may want a beautiful granite countertop and end up with a granite ‘look-alike’
countertop, save a little money and be perfectly happy. If you happen to pick out a few features that are more expensive with your faucets or door handles, you can always go a little lower with other options. Perhaps you don’t need the expensive oven hood or pot lights. It’s a give and take; just make sure you are happy with what you’re getting!
- It’s important to re-use things in your kitchen that you can. Let’s say you like some of your old tiles and wouldn’t mind reusing them behind the stove. Have a good gander at what you’ve got and what you might be able to use again because this can save you a bundle when figuring out your kitchen remodeling costs.
- Kitchen cabinets can cost you an arm and a leg, literally. If you have ‘good’ kitchen cabinets it may be in your best interest to repaint them or have them refinished. Too often people get rid of perfectly good kitchen cabinets just because they are ‘remodeling’ and this might not have to happen. Just think about it before you do it because saving yourself money on your kitchen cabinets means you can spend it elsewhere! Maybe get those granite countertops you had your heart set on or perhaps a brand new stainless steel fridge.
- It doesn’t hurt to ask when you are looking to cut your kitchen remodeling costs. Why not check in with your family and friends and see if there is anything they have that might be of use for you. Perhaps they have some extra customized kitchen tiles from when they renovated or maybe they’ve got a perfectly good kitchen hood.
- Ask and you shall receive. The worse you may end up with is some great kitchen remodeling tips and there’s nothing wrong with that. Keep your eyes peeled for discounts everywhere you go. You may see something perfectly good at a garage sale. Maybe your favorite department store is having a clearance on kitchen sinks or appliances.
- A great move is to get a floor model if you need an appliance because often they are discounted further because of a small scratch or ding. Does it really matter in the big picture? Nope, it’s just going to save you money and help lower your kitchen remodeling costs.
- Are you a do-it-yourselfer? It really helps cut your kitchen remodeling costs if you can do some or all of the remodeling yourself. Understanding that if there’s something you don’t know how to do, it’s best to leave it to a professional.
- When doing your kitchen a huge percentage of the cost is in labor. Even if you just handle the finishing touches and clean-up, this will drastically lower your kitchen remodeling costs.
- Now if you really don’t know the first thing about kitchen renovations, you might be wise to hire a professional. But before signing on the dotted line, make sure you are getting a good deal. You’d be wise to get at least a couple different estimates just to get an idea what sort of cost you can get. By letting your potential candidates know that you are getting other estimates, you can usually lower your kitchen remodeling costs.
- Ask friends about who they might know that can help you with your kitchen upgrades. Maybe they have a friend that will cut you a nice deal or make you a trade of some sort. Bottom line is that if it will save you a few dollars on your kitchen remodeling costs, then it’s definitely worth your while.
- Go in with an open mind. If you going into this project with your head set in stone. Chances are pretty good you’re going to end up being disappointed. Relax, allow yourself to change your mind and follow your gut. This is going to help get you the kitchen of your dreams!
It doesn’t matter which way slice it, kitchen renovations are anything but cheap. But this doesn’t mean you have to break the bank to do it. Make a budget and use the pointers above to help you lower your kitchen remodeling costs. This way you will be happy and able to make your mortgage payments on time.